Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sharing is Caring 12.08.14




This blog may be quiet for the rest of this month. We’re all in Adelaide at the moment (yay for scheduled posts!) to meet my new nephew/hang out with one of my favourite people and her husband and boys/check out areas to maybe move to next year/holiday (hurrah!), and then when we get back I have to write Mo’s birthday post as well as a 3000-word essay on church government, which is possibly the least exciting topic I’ve ever faced. I may also avoid things like writing said birthday post and essay by writing other stuff here, though, so it may not be quiet at all. I DON’T KNOW. Just in case it is quiet, here are some thingies to keep you chugging along in my absence…


A quote I like
“Paul’s attitude to controversial questions in ‘his’ churches tended, where possible, to be not ‘Here is the rule which you are to learn and keep,’ but ‘Here is how to think as men and women in Christ.’ Give a church a rule and you guide them for a day; teach a church to think and you guide them for life.” 
From Acts for Everyone Part 2 by Tom Wright (page 51)

A picture I like
from here
An article that I really, really like

And yet, I’m still unsettled by the fact that taking care of my own children full-time and the prospect of continuing to do this indefinitely should be a trigger for a depressive episode. I love them, after all. I love their sweet little faces, their voices, their inquisitive and playful personalities, their high-pitched laughs and endless, earnest questions. But those days when I’m with them for long stretches of time, when my waking hours seem one long shift of milk-pouring, food-cutting, cheerio-sweeping, tush-wiping and tantrum-thwarting, I think I must feel exactly as my mother used to feel, like I just can’t cope, like my brain is an idling engine, like I must clearly be doing something wrong to find taking care of my own children so psychologically taxing.

The study that the article above cites
Stay-at-Home Moms Report More Depression, Sadness, Anger by Elizabeth Mendes, Lydia Saad, and Kyley McGeeney:
While many mothers are rightfully dedicated to parenting as an important and fulfilling vocation, those who desire to work should feel encouraged by these data to pursue it. And for those who choose to stay home, more societal recognition of the difficult job stay-at-home mothers have raising children would perhaps help support them emotionally… Ensuring that stay-at-home moms are in good emotional shape is critical not only for the sake of these mothers, but also for the sake of their childrens and families wellbeing.
And, lastly, a catchy song I love having stuck in my head:

0 comments:

Post a Comment